For a woman who was constantly surrounded by beauty professionals as a child, Renée Rouleau knows how important feeling beautiful means to a woman. That’s why she has devoted over 25 years of her life to become a well-established esthetician so she can help both women and men achieve the best skin they could possibly have.
Rouleau’s all-encompassing skincare line and treatments are compatible with many different skin types, not just one. She has over 55 products and specialized treatments that are even used by some of Hollywood’s elite including Sofia Vergara, Demi Lovato, Emma Roberts and more. While Rouleau is Dallas-based, she has spa locations in Austin and Plano, Texas, Los Angeles and New York, and even offers virtual consultations for patients unable to come to those locations.
HudsonMOD had the opportunity to interview Renée Rouleau, and ask her questions about her A-list skincare line, how she helps celebrities achieve picture perfect skin, her own personal skincare tips and more. Check out the Q&A with this celebrity esthetician below.
From the very beginning, I recognized that every person’s skin is unique; however, the beauty industry mostly relies on a one-size-fits-all approach to skin care. Product lines were traditionally catered to very generic categories of skin: dry, normal and oily. So I began formulating my own exclusive products based on nine skin types to ensure my clients achieved the results they desired. I have created over 55 products for nine skin types to give skin the best results. I combine the best of nature and the best of science to give people healthy, glowing skin, without being harsh and irritating. Nature offers us a slow and steady course that works gently with the skin, while science offers more advanced, biologically active ingredients that are required as we age.
Why did you ultimately decide to become an esthetician?
Growing up in my grandmother’s hair salon, I was surrounded around beauty professionals who had a caring touch and loved making people look and feel good by getting them to like what they saw when they looked in the mirror. As soon as I graduated high school, I immediately entered into the profession because I knew this was my calling.
You’ve worked with celebrities such as Demi Lovato, Emma Roberts and Emmy Rossum. What is your biggest piece of advice that helps them maintain healthy skin when they’re constantly on the go or being done-up in makeup?
Celebrities are always in the public eye and for this reason glowing and flawless skin is at the top of the prep list for celebrities. I advise them on many things but a big one is how best to handle a blemish when it appears. Applying a really harsh spot treatment is not the best strategy because it can make the skin flakey which doesn’t look good under makeup and certainly picking at it only leaves a scab which concealer can barely cover up. Applying an anti-inflammatory, non-drying product like Anti Cyst Treatment is the least damaging and most effective way to heal a blemish fast.
The facial focus I take when preparing a client’s skin for a special event is to smooth and brighten, increase circulation and provide hydration deep within the skin. Below the surface of the skin, the goal is to increase microcirculation to bring oxygen and nutrient-rich blood to the cells. In one of my more popular treatments, I use a bubbly, botanical effervescent mask with extracts of marigold, rosemary and lime tree to stimulate blood flow, followed by warm ultrasound that will help create a rosy glow so the skin appears ‘lit from within.’
What makes your products stand out against the rest?
My line is formulated for nine different skin types where most all other lines cater to only three or four. There is something for EVERYONE in my line instead of the “one size fits all” approach.
If you were to dump our your makeup bag, what would we find in it?
Some products I never stray far from home without are:
- Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation – I didn’t start wearing liquid foundation until a few years ago because I was so afraid of it clogging my oily, blemish-prone skin (I’m a skin type #2.) However, I haven’t had a problem with this one. It gives my skin an incredible luminous and smooth look, while making my large pores virtually invisible.
- Benefit Stay Don’t Stray Eyeshadow Primer – This primer creates a great base on my eyelids, which helps with an even eye shadow application and gives a long-lasting effect.
- Too Faced Melted Liquefied Long Wear Lipstick – This long-lasting, silky lipstick has some serious staying power and comes in some fun, bright colors.
- Benefit Gimme Brow – This is a small mascara wand with a creamy formula to brush on the brows to make them look thicker. The color is the perfect shade for my brows and I like that it doesn’t leave them feeling tight or crunchy when it dries.
- Benefit They’re Real Mascara – I’ve stuck with this one longer than most because I like how it gives length and thickness, while not looking clumpy. The brush is stiff and the bristles allow for a nice separation of the lashes upon application.
- Facial Hair Shaver by Touch’ N Brow– When I turned 40, I noticed that my peach fuzz was getting much fuzzier and that’s never a good look. About once every three weeks, I run this over my cheeks, chin and upper lip to gently remove all the hair. The blade also acts as an exfoliant and leaves my skin baby soft. I buy a 3-pack at Sally Beauty Supply for just $4.00.
- Renée Rouleau Pro Remedy Oil – When I’m traveling, I make sure to use a few drops of this product over my oil-free nighttime moisturizer to provide a protective barrier to prevent moisture from evaporating out of my skin. What a huge difference this made in keeping my skin from getting dry!
- ColoreScience SPF 50 Mineral Powder – I am never, ever without a tube of this dry sunscreen powder. With just a light dusting on my face, neck, chest and hands, it gives instant sun protection. Since the #1 cause of premature wrinkles is due to UV light from the sun, this makes sunscreen the best anti-aging product on the planet.
What is the one beauty essential you can’t live without and why?
One product, which I cannot live without, is the Renee Rouleau Vitamin C&E Treatment. This product has been a miracle worker for my skin and helps an umbrella of skincare issues. Many people get brown spots in the summertime when it’s hot since heat stimulates melanin activity, me included, and as I’ve gotten older with increased hormones this can trigger melanin too. My Vitamin C&E Complex uses a powerful blend of antioxidants, such as Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, which is a proven melanin suppressor to fade and control stubborn skin discoloration and brown spots. Because it contains Vitamin E along with Vitamin C, it can provide four times the protection of sunblock alone when worn underneath (according to N.C.-based Duke University Medical Center research). So since I slather in my Daily Protection SPF 30 every day of the year, from sun up to sun down, I appreciate the extra boost of protection it provides.
Explain your nighttime skincare routine.
At night, skin is in its reparative state. While you sleep, skin is at rest and is not being exposed to the environmental stressors that greatly contribute to visibly aging the skin. I truly believe that by washing your skin at night and performing a nighttime specific routine, you can really help repair your skin and control how quickly your skin ages.
Since your skin is not exposed to the environment, the focus should be on providing hydration and nourishment to the skin cells to help keep your skin’s moisture barrier intact to retain proper moisture levels in the skin. Your skin cells are like fish, they need water to live, and when they do not have the hydration they so desperately need to maintain health, your skin will not look its best—and won’t act its best either. In addition, the skin also needs a serious boost to its metabolism and this can be achieved with skin serums that contain effective performance ingredients. Retinol is one such ingredient because it penetrates deep within the dermis and evokes stimulation right where collagen fibers are created. It is considered to be one of the most miraculous ingredients for smoothing the texture of the skin, softening lines and wrinkles and reducing pore size. Advanced Resurfacing Serum with pure retinol is the most effective anti-aging product I use in my routine. If you’re not using this type of product, you really need to be.
MY NIGHTTIME SKIN ROUTINE MUSTS:
Step 1: Wash with a mild cleansing lotion to remove the day’s dirt, oil, bacteria, and makeup. Rinse well.
Step 2: Apply an alcohol-free toner to remove cleanser residue and provide hydration and nourishment to the skin cells.
Step 3: Use a nighttime specific anti-aging serum to the face, neck, and chest area to help nourish and repair the skin and its cells.
Step 4: Apply a nighttime moisturizer suited for your skin type to help hydrate your skin cells. Apply to the face and neck.
Step 5: Apply a nourishing eye cream to provide essential hydration to the delicate skin around the eye.
By treating your skin with what it needs both morning and night, you are sure to get both healthy and glowing skin.
Photo Credits: ReneeRouleau.com